Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Shadowed Thoughts of Silas McBane, Ep. #9

Every New Day

Every single day something happens.  Something good, something bad, I see a miracle, I witness a tragedy.  I'm often astounded at all of life's intricacies as I step back and really look at each day and its events.  It's not like I'm a stranger to life and its various triumphs and challenges.  I've been around the block, as they say.  But more and more, I find myself so wonderfully amazed by all of the big and little things that happen every single day.  Some things just happen, other things I make happen.  Life is such a beautiful adventure.  When I started seeing life this way some time ago, my entire perspective changed.  Suddenly, the tragedies and shortcomings weren't quite as bitter and the victories were so much sweeter.  Admittedly, perhaps a strange outlook for a goth.  I get that.  We're predisposed to the darker side of things and we tend to take on life as a "glass is half empty" endeavor.  However, I'm a firm believer that humans shape their own worlds and destinies.  I refuse to let circumstance and day-to-day life dictate all of my various outcomes.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not a control freak.  Quite the contrary, actually.  I tend to be a "go with the flow" kind of guy.  But I also know from experience that life can happen to me, or I can happen to life.  I don't always succeed at it.  It's not as if it's an exact science or a foolproof plan.  It's more a philosophy, really.  I just want to take all of these beautiful and/or painful experiences and turn them into something magical.  Yeah, yeah, I sound like Peter Pan in a black shirt and makeup, I know.  But have you ever taken a step back and really objectively looked at a day's events after it's all done?  I personally got very tired of missing all these fantastic opportunities to create my own universe around me.  Again, I know this is a stretch for many within the beautifully dark community, but just hear me out.  We like to go against the grain.  We don't follow the status quo, typically.  Can you imagine what it would to do the general public's perception of goths if we were…wait for it…happy?  Achieving?  Successful, even?  What a novel idea!  Call me crazy (and you quite likely already have), but this is a much higher quality of life for us.  Don't you think?
                                  -Silas McBane

No comments:

Post a Comment