Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Shadowed Thoughts of Silas McBane Ep. #14


My Inner Aussie

I like fake accents.  Those closest to me know that I frequently break into a British, Irish, Scottish, German or Australian accent in public at a moment’s notice.  I don’t know why I do it.  Perhaps because I’m very, very strange.  I think that’s the explanation most would offer for that type of behavior.  However, I think I use fake accents for the same reason many of you are goth.  Yeah, I’m probably about to strike a nerve. 
I like to use fake accents because sometimes it’s just fun to not be me.  I’m known to travel a good bit, therefore, I spend some time in airports.  From time to time, if I’m in an airport that isn’t my “home” airport, I’ll pretend to be Australian.  Why?  Hell, I don’t know really.  I know it’s fun, I get to strike up brilliantly stimulating conversations with complete strangers, and people I’ve never met before buy me beers.  There is, however, that earnest fear that one of these days I’m gonna meet a real Aussie in the airport and the jig will be up.  Even I can’t fake out a native.   I’m not exactly thrilled about the potential for that to happen.  I know I’m rolling the dice every time I do it.  But it sure is fun…for now.
                So, back to my point.  I use fake accents for the same reason many of you are goth.  Am I Australian?  Nope, there’s not an Aussie bone in my body.  I pretend.  Yes, that’s right.  I fake it.  I do it because it’s fun and I’m getting over on everyone around me.  There’s a weird self-satisfaction that goes along with it, I suppose.  Some goths are just faking it.  You know the ones to which I’m referring.  They kinda dress it, they kinda talk it, they kinda seem like it, but they just don’t get it.  How does one deal with such a character?  First, I think we have to have an understanding of how sad it is for someone to not know who they really are.  Nothing, in my opinion, is much sadder than the human with a lost sense of self.  Yet I hate how cruel the world is to those who are in such a state.  We’ve all been there.  Lost, rejected, no idea who or what we are, etc.  Can you remember what would have been most helpful to you during that time?  I sure can.  It’s love.  It’s acceptance.  It’s approval and validation.  Nothing can replace a sense of belonging or a hand on the shoulder that says, “your place is here.”  When is the last time you went out of your way to explore the fringes and find that lost soul and give them a safe place?  I’ve made up my mind to do it as often as I can.  Someone did it for me once…

-Silas McBane

No comments:

Post a Comment