Friday, May 25, 2012

Re: The Shadowed Thoughts of Silas McBane #4: Perfect World

 Let's say the world, more specifically your world, were perfect.  What might that look like?  Would you have all of things items and toys you've ever wanted?  Would you have the perfect job?  No job?  The perfect mate?  Piles of money?  Have you ever thought about it?  See, I have this naïve notion about humanity.  I believe that, for the most part, people are intrinsically good.  Somewhere deep, deep down, people want to be fulfilled from their souls, not from their wallets.  We want to be internally joyous, not externally.  I wonder how many of us would accept the offer of perpetual peace for the rest of our lives in place of riches and greatness.  I wonder if I could accept such an offer, although I know it's that for which my soul cries out.

 I met an interesting fellow the other day.  He was homeless.  He was dirty, hungry, alone and had virtually nothing in his possession aside from his filthy clothes and a tattered backpack filled with who-knows-what.  I saw him in a parking lot.  He approached me and instantly I thought he'd ask me for money.  To my surprise, he did not.  He saw me reach in my pocket and he informed me he wasn't interested in money.  He had no use for it, he claimed.  He simply wanted to know the time.  That's all he wanted!  We chatted for a few brief moments and he told me he lives the way he does by choice, not because he was thrust into it by some twist of fate or dramatic misfortune.  He simply wanted to gracefully bow out of the world's system and find his own way.  Obviously, that isn't a choice many of us would make, but it's what he decided his soul wanted after years and years of toil and stress.  He was peaceful.  He was happy.  He was free.

 Never would I advocate anyone make that choice.  However, to each his/her own.  That's not necessarily my path to peace and happiness, but I'll admit it did sound awfully appealing the way he described it.  It's not the whole homeless aspect that moved me, mind you.  It was the sense of peace and freedom he had achieved.  That took tremendous courage for him to make that decision.

 So, after much consideration, I think I could use a re-evaluation of my life.  Where it's going, what I want/need, etc.  I'm inspired.  Funny thing, inspiration.  It leads us to fantastically amazing conclusions and, if we so allow, wondrous free adventures and peace. 
                                  -Silas McBane

No comments:

Post a Comment