Friday, May 25, 2012

The Shadowed Thoughts of Silas McBane #8: Kicking the Bucket

 I live out in the country.  Like out in-the-middle-of-nowhere country.  I love it here.  I grew up very secluded, on a horse ranch in Nowhereseville, Wyoming.  A bizarre upbringing for a future goth and musician, I know.  But peace, quiet, landscape and countryside have always been my sanctuary since I was a little boy.  One of my favorite things to do is go outside of a clear night, sit on my front porch, and just think about the universe.  I solve the world's problems in my mind on those evenings.  I think of all of the really important stuff in life, from pizza toppings to politics to religion to reality television.  I tackle it all from that cool, concrete platform.  A little while ago, I began contemplating my bucket list.  For those among you who are not "in the know," a bucket list is simply a list comprised of all the tiny and gigantic things I'd like to accomplish before I "kick the bucket."  Hence, "bucket" list.  If you'll be kind enough to keep it our little secret, I'd like to share my bucket list with you.
(In no particular order)
1.  Visit Ireland and Germany (as I'm of equal Irish and German heritage)
2. Take a cruise
3. Take a hot air balloon ride
4. Meet my other half
5. Marry my other half
6. Spoil my grandkids
7. Get a book or article published
8. Own a mid-late 60s Lincoln
9. Visit every state in the U.S.
10. Play music and perform in front of thousands at one time
11. Get a college degree
12. Scuba dive
13. Repay my parents
14. Take a helicopter tour of Mount Rushmore (an obsession of mine)
15. Save someone's life
16. Write "THE" song
17. Drive a Corvette
18. Watch my children succeed
19. Go to Vegas
20. Eat an In&Out burger
Proudly, to date, I have actually accomplished numbers 7, 10, 16, 19 and 20.  Incidentally, you are proving my success regarding number 7.  Congratulations.  Number 4 is mysterious, but I have a potential candidate in mind (nudge, nudge, wink, wink).  Everything else is just something I want to achieve/do/have.  Believe me, I'm working on a number of things on this list.  I want to accomplish every single thing on it.  I will accomplish every single thing on it.
 
 What a brilliantly beautiful voyage of self-discovery.  Have you a bucket list, my friend?  If not, put "writing a bucket list" on your bucket list.
 
                                  -Silas McBane

No comments:

Post a Comment