Friday, May 25, 2012

The Shadowed Thoughts of Silas McBane #7: Meet Yourself, Part #2 (a how-To)

 *Deep breath*  Lots to cover in a short space, friends.  Let me first say how much love I have for the beautifully dark community.  I have met and am proud to know some of the most amazing human beings I've ever met through the gothic community and I, for one, am so proud of our family and culture.  But something is missing, friends.  A lot is missing, truthfully.  This world needs us, and we're doing so very little.  You're no doubt wondering for what purpose the world needs us.  The world needs you and I like it needs the doctor, the artist, the teacher, the construction worker, the dancer, the architect, the musician, the poet, the CEO, etc.  Sadly, I see within the goth community a very lax mentality that reeks of defeat.  Strong words, I know.  But it seems for every foot of ground we gain we sometimes lose two more because we don't know ourselves, we don't pursue our dreams and we drift off into a darkly-dressed vortex of mediocrity.  Let me whisper a secret in your ear:  I want to be great.

 I have several goals, dreams, visions, whatever you want to call them.  I'm actively pursuing every single one right now.  It was not always this way.  I, much like so many of you, had once upon a time accepted the cold, draining grip of the status quo.  "Whatever I will be, I will be," I used to think.  It seems I would have just accepted whatever life would throw at me and refuse to admit that I could change my stars.  Boy, was I wrong.  I began to think about myself.  Yeah, that sounds narcissistic, but hear me out.  I started dismantling my life internally, examining my thoughts, digging so very deep beneath my own surface.  As I started to understand myself, I realized that I have value.  I have talent.  I have dreams!  I have a destiny, should I choose to accept it. 

 So, let's be practical.  Yes, I had to start working my tail off.  I had to figure out what I wanted to do and then I had to start thinking about how to do it.  One thing was for sure, after catching a hold of what dreams I wanted to make come true, all Hell couldn't stop me.  So I started doing it, little by little, day by day, I kept doing the things that got me closer to my goals.  After a while (and several shortcomings and disappointments), I started seeing it all happen.  Have you ever seen the finish line after a long race?  No feeling compares.  THAT is what's lacking in our community.  Drive.  Effort.  The unflinching belief that the world will be a richer place when it sees what we have to offer. 

Summarizing, I have to ask:  Do you know you?  If you don't, I encourage you to take that journey.  If you do, get out there and do it.  More than ever, this world needs us.

 
                                  -Silas McBane

No comments:

Post a Comment