Friday, May 25, 2012

The Shadowed Thoughts of Silas McBane #1: Take It All Off

That's right, take it off.  Take it all off.  The clothes, the shoes, the hairdo, the makeup, the jewelry, the scowl, and every single thing you think gives you your identity.  Get rid of it.  Why, you ask?  Because we have to from time to time.  Because you and I get so attached to our outward identity that we become separated from the things that really make us who we are.  Please understand, I'm not talking down to anyone, here.  I do it, too.  I seldom leave the house without looking the way I want people to see me.  And for the record, I don't feel like there's anything really wrong with that.  However, we get in that pattern and observe that routine and the subsequent mentality for too long sometimes and it cripples our self-perception.  I have been told before that the outward is a reflection of the inward.  I used to agree with that, but I don't anymore.  I am pierced.  I am very tattooed.  I have been unfairly judged and criticized for these things.  But that's the natural byproduct of choosing to look and express myself in such ways.  So, as a result of my appearance, I have to try just that much harder to rally against the general perception of people that look like I do, and prove to people that I have a soul, a heart, and am capable of doing tremendous good.  Kinda the whole "random acts of kindness" thing, you dig?  The decision I made a long time ago was to occasionally take time away from my "image" and just be me without it.  It's very healthy and keeps me balanced and centered, and it ultimately keeps me free from the grip of narcissism and ego.  Don't we all want to change the perception of the gothic community?  I know I do.  It starts with me being me.  It starts with you being you.
 
-Silas McBane

No comments:

Post a Comment