Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Shadowed Thoughts of Silas McBane: Episode #17


Don’t Call it a Comeback

                I’m turning the corner on what is, in my opinion, a very important birthday.  Not necessarily one of those birthdays that one typically considers a “landmark” birthday, but it’s a big one to me, nonetheless.  I intend to celebrate accordingly, of course, as I never do anything halfway.  I specifically remember having a conversation with myself several years ago.  I remember exactly where I wanted to be and what I had decided I wanted to have accomplished by this particular birthday (and you can stop wondering, I’m not going to tell you how old I am).  Some of those expectations I’d set for myself back then I’m quite proud to say I’ve far exceeded.  To some, to my disappointment, I’ve fallen dramatically short. 
                So, as I rapidly approach this landmark age increase I find myself more and more mindful of the things I didn’t quite get accomplished…yet.  That, my friends, is the key.  A deadline missed is not a goal defeated.  I like the sound of that.  Wherever you are, just hear yourself say it out loud.  A deadline missed is not a goal defeated.  It’s just a bit delayed.  Maybe those things are still another “X” amount of years away from being conquered.  But I don’t have to quit.  Yeah, the landscape has changed over the years as my life has changed in some big ways.  All that means is that I have to modify my approach to get those things done.
                I like making you think, and I hope I’m doing so right this very minute.  If not now, perhaps when you lay your head down to slumber.  Maybe then, as you rest quietly in your resting place, these words will register again in your consciousness.  Because there’s a lot of stuff you haven’t done or accomplished yet.  You know it, I know it.  I’m putting those “undones” on the short list of “get it dones.”  After all, I’m not gonna be here forever.

-Silas McBane

No comments:

Post a Comment