Friday, July 6, 2012

The Shadowed Thoughts of Silas McBane, Ep. #10

Masks
 
 I was thinking today about the masks I wear.  I wear a lot of them and it depends on who I'm with and the situation in which I find myself as to which mask I wear.  For example, when I'm at work, I wear my "work" mask.  I'm a certain way on the clock and it's all about efficiency, deadlines and business.  I don't wear that mask when I'm playing music, hanging out with my friends, or just relaxing at home.  Catch my drift?

 I have a very good friend whom I've known for several years now.  I'm very fortunate to have worked with him for two different companies now.  He has been a great advantage to me in many ways.  He's just one of those guys who doesn't seem to panic over anything.  Here's what I mean:  He and his wife have been trying very hard to have a second child.  About a month ago, we were all very excited to learn that they had been successful in their efforts.  Then, as a result of the pregnancy and growing family, they knew it was time to upgrade to a larger home.  They found a home, sold their old one, miscarried the baby, and found out he was losing his job all within about a week.  Many of us would have been crippled by all of these things.  How could any of us manage such hardship?

 He still comes to work every single day, even knowing his job is ending soon.  His attitude and demeanor haven't changed a bit.  He's still kind, gentle, and caring.  I came to realize that that is his mask.  That's who he wants people to see.  But who is he when he's afforded the opportunity to be vulnerable and remove his mask?  Is he still strong?  Is he hurt?  Afraid?  Is he a child?  I know who I am when my masks are all taken off.  And I also know that that's who I really am.  But few ever see it.  Some do, mind you, but very few.  See, we have to take off all the masks sometimes.  Otherwise, we start to forget who we really, really are.  It's like telling the same lie so many times you begin to believe it yourself.  Who are you when your masks have all been removed?  Does anyone ever get to see that version of you?  I hope so.  Otherwise, I think your life is being half-lived.
-Silas McBane
 
 
For more on the thoughts of Silas McBane and other Gothic writers, be sure to check out: DarkestGoth Magazine!

No comments:

Post a Comment