Friday, July 6, 2012

The Shadowed Thoughts of Silas McBane, Ep. #12

Get a Job

Why don't more Goths have good great careers?  Heck, why don't more goths have jobs?  Do you ever think about that?  I do.  I have a job.  A career, in fact.  I work for a government agency, for crying out loud!  How anti-goth is that?!  However, I've worked and trained and schooled long and hard to get where I am and I'm very proud of myself.  It's a great feeling, getting up every day and going to work and doing something I enjoy which, in turn, makes other people happy.  The paycheck is nice, too.  Did anyone hand this to me?  Hell, no.  I worked my tail off for it.  THAT is why I can be proud of where I am.  Because I have this career, I have a home, a car, and I can care for my children and do the things I want to do.

 Okay, I realize it sounds like I'm bragging.  Point taken.  But I'm really not.  I'm merely trying to make a point.  Far too many Goths are jobless because they're so consumed with "sticking it to the man" that they fail to do what's best for themselves.  Sounds kind of counter-productive, don't you think?  To me, I can be successful, and that can be my way of sticking it to the man, because the world doesn't see us as a successful culture/sub-culture of people!  No, no matter what you want to do with your life, you're not going to start at the top.  I sure didn't.  I spent a lot of years as a helper.  Valuable, painstaking, pride-swallowing, wonderful years.  Catch my drift?  Get up.  Go get what you want. 
 
This world doesn't hand out anything to anybody.  Anything worth having is worth fighting for and working for.  I remember when I embarked on this career path back in 1999.  I wondered if it would ever amount to anything.  I think I was supporting a family off of around $11 an hour at the time.  But I stuck with it.  I persevered.  I stayed focused.

 It's not un-goth to be successful, dummy.  Go do it.  And quit making excuses for why you can't.  You're embarrassing the rest of us who did it while you were whining about why you can't.

 -Silas McBane

No comments:

Post a Comment